Thursday, March 24, 2011

When you first went to Japan (if you're a foreigner who wanted to go to Japan before), what were you first...?

Question:


Negative + positive first impressions (cultural shock etc)?
And have you ever felt that Japan isn't that special after all and you wanted to go home?
Sorry, maybe it's a bit confusing question but it's kind of important.

Answer:


I had the opportunity to live in Japan, in Fukuoka, for a year in 1955, away from the US Air Force Base, where no other Americans lived. Then, the first shock was that "body elimination" was not sexualities, as it is here in the States. My first walk to the train station, I saw men lined against a wall and reallized they were wetting! I nearly stumbled over a woman who had just squatted down in fromt on me. I vowed not to enter the culture in that aspect--but got caught downtown and had to make my way to a Westernized Department store, sure to have restrooms. I found it, but it was "uni-sexed". Men's urinal was on one side, and then a 4" high platform with 4" round holds placed in it. Men and women weresquattedd over them. My eyes glazed over and pain forced me forward. People there stare at differences--whereas Americans try not to stare--but this sight was so unusual...I learned to time my trips better. But people were very helpful at large and eager to speak English with me. It was a total police state, and there was no crime. I learned to speak enough Japanese and learned to read Hiragana and Kata Kana--thewrittenn script that read from top-down, and from left to right. I traveled all over the Island of Kyushu by myself and learned a world of beauty, kindness and adventure.---I'd love to return to visit, as I never got to see Mt. Juji-san and other beautirul areas, but at 81, I don't have the money. I'll always be thankful for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment