Thursday, March 24, 2011

What are the rules regarding cats on Tashirojima or 'cat island'?

Question:


I'm just curious. Considering the importance of cats to the culture on the island, I imagine that there would be some regulations involving interaction with the cats. I can't find the information with a Google search, so I was hoping someone here might have the knowledge.

Answer:


Tashirojima is an island off the coast of Miyagi prefecture (I am not sure how badly the island was damaged in the Tsunami). 83% of the population is over 65 years of age and I know for a fact, many old women feed the cats on a daily basis and so they can freely breed in abundance. There is no law against interacting with these cats, although of course, cruelty to these cats is highly frowned upon.
Most of these cats are wild cats/strays that breed and so I wouldn't recommend just going up to one and picking it up. Many are friendly though and enjoy a good pat on the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment