Sunday, April 10, 2011

Earthquakes in Japan?

Question:


First off, I would like to say my thoughts and prayers go out to the people who suffered in the quake. I hope they have a speedy recovery.

...

When I get older I would like to go to Japan, I am learning a bit of Japanese right now so I am prepared to go there. I am fascinated by this country's culture, music and technology and language.

But I have a fear of earthquakes, how do the people of Japan live there knowing they're on the edge of the Pacific plate?
Two earthquakes happened in a row, one last month and this month, is it that very common?
Which part of Japan is the most safest from quakes?

And could you tell me what to do during a quake to increase that chance of you being more safe? I learnt that you shouldn't run out to the streets due to falling objects...

Answer:


I think there has been a common impression to foreigners that earthquakes like 9.0 is common in Japan. No, it's not. Earthquakes like 4.0-5.0, the ones that you won't really feel much, are the often happening.

If you look at here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ear…
the m 6.0-8.0 are mostly happening in the islands, not in the mainland Japan itself.

>>>Two earthquakes happened in a row, one last month and this month, is it that very common?
No it's not.

Infrastructures here in Japan are built to withstand strong earthquakes such as 7.0-8.0 And the recent one did not do great damage, most damages are done by the tsunami.

We are used to earthquakes but that does not mean we are not scared. You just have to be calm and alert in a situation like this. There are some signs that will tell you where to go incase an earthquake happens.

Tips here:
http://golosangeles.about.com/od/latrave…

No comments:

Post a Comment