Saturday, April 9, 2011

Are there good Aerospace engineering opportunities in Japan for an outsider?

Question:


I'm actually studying Aerospace Engineering in Australia right now, but I'm not planning to stay here after I earn my degree. I want to go to Japan, since I heard that Aerospace is a booming industry there. However, I've also heard that it'll be much harder for foreigners to get a good position in an engineering firm in Japan, since they prioritize the Japanese people first. Is that true? If I wanted to make it big in Aerospace, can I do it in Japan? I'm planning to put in hard work and do long hours if I need to. I just want to know if my skills can be recognized.

I know this isn't exactly a question many people can answer properly, but I thank anyone who can provide me a helpful answer.

Answer:


You are probably right about asking your question here, but my answer ( for what it's worth ) is a less negative one.
People usually think of say NASA, ESA and JAXA as individual agencies with no outside input, but in reality it's the opposite. Engineers of various nationalities co work with others in this industry, be it Japanese, American or European.
I agree that language can be a problem but it's not the main problem. It depends really on how you excel in your studies. The rest is not unachievable. Difficult yes. but not unachievable. Burn that midnight oil mate, I wish you well.

@chuck. Am I right !! Mmmm, looks like chuck is on one of his sorties.

@Carl-the truth. We are not talking about getting your hands dirty here ( let the Gaijin's do what we don't want to do ) I am talking about international cooperation. Do you honestly think that the work involved in JAXA is wholly Japanese. Really !!

No comments:

Post a Comment