Saturday, April 9, 2011

Where can I buy a geisha kimono?

Question:


I want a real geisha kimono not a costume not anything like that A REAL ONE! Ive looked online for so long for them but I cant find not one! And I want the kimono to be like this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTrzHqMGc…

Answer:


Geisha kimono are very rare. Maiko kimono, like the one in that video, are even more rare. You should expect to spend several hundred dollars on one even if it is in horrible condition -- expect to spend even more for one in decent, wearable condition. In addition, you will want to do your research to make sure you're getting an actual maiko or geisha kimono for the price. Many sellers attach the word "geisha" to any kimono they get so more people can find their site when searching. Ichiroya sometimes has a few geisha hikizuri or susohiki available, mostly antiques. I have never seen them offer an authentic maiko kimono. Ryu Japan/Shinei would also be a good place to look, though I don't know if they have ever had authentic ones before. Kyoto.antiques on eBay sometimes offers a few geisha hikizuri that seem authentic to me. Search for "hikizuri" to find them. You can also sometimes find a few on Yahoo Japan Auctions, but be aware that you will have to go through a shopping service like Celga or Noppin to buy anything from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment