Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Traveling to Japan with a child, not knowing birth father?

Question:


My husband and I are planning on going to Japan in a couple years. My husband is not the biological father to our son. I do not know who the birth father is. And I know most times you need the consent of the other parent to legally take a child under the age of 16 out of the USA. But as I said I do not know who the birth father is and NO one is on the birth certificate besides me. My husband and I were not married at the time of birth but he was there during the whole pregnancy and we married when our son was 10mos. Our son has my husbands last name from birth.
Do you think I would have to go through all the trouble and disrupt my happy life to find out who the birth father is just to travel 1 month to Japan?

Answer:


If no father is named on the birth certificate, you can get the passport alone...no other signature needed. However, it certainly would be great if your husband could adopt your child. Since you were married to your current husband at the time of the birth, legally he would be considered the father...should have had his name put on birth certificate. Be a very good idea to visit a lawyer who specializes in family issues and get things straight now. Would certainly make the child happier in the future. and as the other person said...no reason to discuss this with anyone...except the lawyer.

No comments:

Post a Comment