Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Are gays accepted in Japan?

Question:


I'm bi, ok. So I'm planning on eventually visiting or moving to Japan. Are LGBT people as accepted by others in Japan as much/more/less than in America? I'm not trying to offend anyone. I think the Japanese are great people but they have a different culture so I honestly just don't know, and I want to.

Answer:


I've read that there's a large LGBT population in Japan but that it's very low-key. I think that it's starting to come out above ground and there are places that spring up for LGBT people in Tokyo, but I don't think it's like a big city in America as far as accepting.

Also, I read that some of the gay bars discriminate against those who aren't Japanese born, so they don't let them into some bars or charge them a fee when citizens get in free.

I'll know more when I visit in October.

No comments:

Post a Comment