Tuesday, May 24, 2011

How many years of study does it take to pass the highest level of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, N1?

Question:


Let's say I take 2 years of the language formally in an American University, do study abroad for the 3rd year/immersion/take advanced language courses there. I'll watch movies, shows, talk to people, try to read books, etc.
Would I be able to pass the level N1 if I really study hard?

Answer:


It took me about 10 years but that is not of straight Japanese college classes. I took college classes for four years, lived in Japan for almost two, two years of online classes, and worked for a Japanese company for 2. The main thing is READING and vocabulary. I have a friend with a similar level of experience to me, who has failed the test 6 times. Make no mistake, it is very hard. However, if you focus on READING, and really try to read the newspaper and get vocabulary from that everyday, you could probably do it in 5. I know people who have passed it in less time but they really have to focus non-stop for those 5 years. Living in Japan or working for a Japanese company would help considerably. I would do it toward the end of my college term though, not the beginning. Once you have the fundamentals down, you will improve a lot be going to Japan. If you go there barely able to speak, it will not help you as much.

As was mentioned above, there is no speaking component. It is all vocabulary, kanji, reading, listening, and grammar. I would try some practice exams and see which ones you can pass. This site is a little hard to navigate but if you make a login, in the Exam Paper section they have every test from 1991-2010. http://jlpt.myweblesson.com/web/index.js…

*Note: The JLPT changed format in 2010 so these tests are good for assessment of level, but not for studying for the test because there will be some aspects of the new format that will surprise you. For that, I would go to this site and try their sample tests: http://www.jlpt.jp/e/

No comments:

Post a Comment