Sunday, May 1, 2011

Change my name to a japanese one?

Question:


So, I'd like to move to Japan in a few years, after I'm done with my japanese studies and other things, and I'm planning on staying there, not coming back.
My name is "Jennifer" and I think it's really hard to write in japanese, also it's pretty hard to pronounce it... I personally would like to change my first name to a japanese name if I'm actually going to move there just so that it would be easier for them to pronounce and easier for me to write.

But, I don't want them to think that I'm weird if I use a japanese name that's "not mine". I read somewhere that people that aren't japanese, and that uses a japanese name are concidered otakus and so on, and I don't want that.
So, my question is basically: Would I be treated differently if I change my name? Or.. more differently than if I'd use my real name? I know that they will never treat me as a japan, since I'm not one, but still. I don't want to add anything to the situation since I'd still be a foreigner and, yeah ..
I'm swedish, so my last name is "Rönnblad". I don't plan on changing that.

So anyone, if you could help me, I'd be extremely thankful! ^^ <3 (I'm NOT an otaku, just so you know. I'm interested in the culture, but I'm not totally crazy. -.-')

Answer:


I don't know why you think Jennifer is hard to write or say in Japanese. It really isn't. If you write your name in katakana (and you're consistent with the characters you use) people will not have a hard time saying your name. It just won't sound like the English name.

Unless you're planning on becoming a Japanese citizen, you don't need a Japanese name.

No comments:

Post a Comment