Friday, September 30, 2011

Applying for Visa Card in Japan ?

Question:


Hi I am currently an exchange student in Japan, I'm gonna be here for 1 year. I have already open a bank account with JP post bank (and complete all the Alien registration stuff), and now I'm wondering if I can apply for a Visa debit card at the bank. I have beginner level Japanese so it's really tough for me to ask the bank directly. I appreciate any responds from you, thank you very much !

Answer:


Citibank is possible, but it will be very expensive.

It will be hard to get a Japanese visa card without Permanent Residency, a Japanese spouse, and / or a permanent job.

I work as an Assistant Professor in a Japanese university. I earn a very good salary, and I have a guaranteed job for the foreseeable future. I was rejected on my last visa card application.

However, hard is not impossible - some places will give you a student visa card, so apply away. For foreigners, it is more of a lottery than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment