Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Any Japanese books, or author recommendations? :3 please?

Question:


im an intermediate student and id like to begin practicing my kanji by reading actual books.

nothing too serious(nothing political or religious, boring stuff like that.)

i like fantasy, romance, horror, comedy, whatever.


i just need something interesting that doesnt have a sad ending, dramatic is good.

just tell me what youve liked with a quick little summary please
thanks

ultimately at this level i suppose ill be spending half as much time deciphering kanji as i am enjoying the storyline anyways.

and please no childrens book recommendations.

Answer:


I read lots of books by Japanese authors and they are addictive! I can only read/speak English, but these are popular authors and u can probably get Japanese version.
Banana Yoshimoto, she even has a short story in the book 'Read Real Japanese Fiction' with a tutorial on learning Japanese while reading short stories. A lot of her books have themes that are modern and interesting. I recommend Lizard, NP, The Lake, and Kitchen.
Hideo Okuda - Lala Pipo is funny about interconnected individuals intersecting in Tokyo. In The Pool is also funny short stories with characters that intersect, 4 example 1 character is addicted to texting, 1 addicted 2 swimming, 1 has ocd and addicted to checking things, etc.
Randy Taguchi - Outlet is my favorite book, and it has 2 sequels only available in Japanese. I wish I could learn Japanese so I can read the sequels, Outlet is more of a drama and has themes like death, shamanism, psychology, but is more uplifting and exciting than depressing.
Ryu Murakami - Coin Locker Babies is a wonderful novel and will soon be a movie starring Vincent Gallo and Val Kilmer. I hope the movie is as good as the book.
Miyuki Miyabe - She has many novels like All She Was Worth and Shadow Family that are mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment