Tuesday, November 29, 2011

What kind of clothes should one wear in Japan?

Question:


You see, I'm going into an immersion program for 6 months there from January to June. I'll be staying in Yokohama. Unfortunately I have NO clue what attire I should wear so I am comfortable in that climate since I have never been to Japan before. If someone could please help me I would be so very grateful! :)

Answer:


The weather in the Kanto area is fairly regular - winter is cold with maybe a couple of snow days except in the mountains where it will snow more. Spring is cool in the evenings to early mornings with daylight hours being mild. Summer is not bad if you dress light, but it is hot.

Take a layed approach for winter: thermal underwear, sweater, mittens, cap, mufflers, a medium weigh coat and a light jacket. For spring, a sweater or light jacket is good enough. For summer, anything light and breathy. It also tends to rain quite a bit just before the onset of summer.

Also, be sure to take shoes you can actually walk in because chances are you will be doing more walking than what may be usual for you - the mass transit systems are great, but you still need to walk to the stops and walk to you destination at the drop-off point.

No comments:

Post a Comment