Monday, November 7, 2011

Should I give up my Japanese citizenship and become a Polish citizen, so I can live in the UK?

Question:


Okay, here's the thing. I have been living in Poland for over 10 years now (my parents moved here--my father works in the Japanese embassy), and I have the opportunity to gain the Polish citizenship now. However, my objective is not to stay in Poland, but rather to move to the UK. Right now, holding only the Japanese citizenship, that is quite difficult, with all the permissions, etc. etc. But if I gained the Polish citizenship, I become a EU citizen and I am free to settle down in ANY EU country I want, including the UK.

The only drawback is that I would lose my Japanese citizenship, since Japan STILL does not recognize dual citizenship (!!!).

But I REALLY want to live and work and settle down in the UK... and if that happens, I will probably never go back to Japan, either (although all my family members are Japanese citizens).

What do you think? Should I become a Polish citizen just so I can live and work in the UK??? :) Thanks for any helpful advice!

Answer:


I'd take the Polish citizenship. That doesn't mean you're screwed in Japan. It just means you can't vote. You can always decide to live in Japan later. You don't need citizenship to live the rest of your life in Japan if you wanted to. You just need a visa. I don't know your case exactly, but if you really think you'll be living in Europe, then might as well make it easier, get your Polish passport, which will also allow you to have an EU one and live and work just about anywhere in the EU.

Can't you stay in the UK as a Japanese citizen for awhile, then once things get more settled, apply for an EU visa via your Polish connections? There might be a way for you to stay in the UK as a Japanese, with a visa.

No comments:

Post a Comment