Saturday, November 26, 2011

What are some important thing that I, as American, should know about Japanese etiquette before I go?

Question:


I have been learning some Japanese, but I will probably sound like I'm trying to make of them if I speak it.

I know that instead of extending your hand for shake, you just bow, deeper and longer than your senior.

What else do I need to know?

Answer:


WOW!

So much you need to know, but after living here for over four years already I have come to understand it all.

Yes, taking off your shoes is right, but also wearing different provided slippers for the toilet for example!

Don't cross your hashi (chopsticks)
Don't be loud and annoying like many gaijins I see.
Learn some Japanese words for etiquette
You can shake hand, most J people like to as it is different for them.
Bowing is mainly for formal situations
Don't spit
Don't eat on the trains
Have your phone on vibrate or silent on the trains and DO NOT talk on your phone on a train

There is more, but I have a lesson to prepare!

If you have any questions you can mail me and I will answer you.

It's a great place to live, but does take some getting used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment