Saturday, November 26, 2011

What Should I Know Before Moving to Japan?

Question:


My fiance and I are learning Japanese and we plan to move to Japan in a couple years. We've got friends over there but we don't get to talk to them much, anymore, and I feel somewhat rude asking them, too.

What things should I know about living there? E.g., what should I expect when my kids start school(I know they're much more strict on education over there, but I mean, like...do I have to walk or drive my kids to school or do they have buses? Do you have to pay a certain amount a year to use the bus like many schools do here for lunches? Do they have cafeteria food for younger kids or do they need to have a packed lunch? Etc.)? What should I expect in general?

I've never visited before, though we are going to spend a month there for our honeymoon, so I'm sure I'll learn a lot from the visit, but I'm simply curious. And sorry if I sound stupid. :)

Answer:


You are WAY ahead of yourself. Years ahead. You want to move to a country you've never been to ?
Think about it...I'd visit first. Japan is a different world.
The first thing to think about is work. Do both of you have four year degrees ? Do you have special skills a Japanese doesn't have ? It not, all ends here. You need a degree to qualify for a work visa.And a job offer before you get there.
You're not even married yet and you're already thinking about raising kids there ? I think you'd give that more thought !
Japan isn't an easy place to move to, even for a single person. And long term employment is not easy to come by. The basic rule is, if a Japanese can do the job, they will always be hired first.
I think your best bet is to go there for a visit and stay for as long as you can. I'm willing to bet you will change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment