Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How can I legally work in Japan?

Question:


I'm a US citizen and need to stay with my uncle in Japan for a short while. During this time I'd like to hold a part-time to have some source of income, but I can't get a Working Holiday Visa since I'm a US citizen...What's up with that anyway, wahh! :'(
Are there any options for me? I'm not a student...is there something I can enroll in...?

Answer:


Simple answer, you can't. First because you don't have a visa. Second because jobs 'for a month' are rare. Third, you likely don't speak Japanese.

You can try illegally and hand out flyers, tissues and the like.

And tutoring? Got experience? The language mills offer about 2,000 yen or so a lesson. You might attract some students at that price. Depends on what they get. Takes a while to develop a student base though. Time that you won't really have.

As has been said, if the position you have been offered pays under the table, well, it's illegal and you're not likely to be caught. Wouldn't want to be you if you are caught though.

You're not going to be getting a visa. You can stay for 90 days. You can leave after that and have a chance for coming back in for another 90 days. No guarantee on the second term. Depends on what the immigration officer you deal with had for breakfast. What they decide goes. To get a visa you have to have a job offer. To get a job offer you have to have a college degree. I seriously doubt that your uncle can be of any help whatsoever with a visa.

No comments:

Post a Comment