Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Do hallways that decrease in size exist in Himeji Castle in Japan?

Question:


I'm writing a paper and need to find a link or concrete source that supports this idea. I've been on a tour in Japan where I was showed a hallway in which doorways successively were built smaller, in order to allow warriors an advantage against an invading army who would suddenly become bogged up when the space became smaller. I believe I heard the tour guide correctly, but cannot find any other sources that this really exists. Can anyone confirm this?

Answer:


I don't think it's about hallway. I believe it's about the way from the outmost gates to the main buildings.
There are many gates, walls, and branched routes on the way to the main buildings. These are like maze and it's misleading. The first gate is rather bigger and other gates and roots are getting smaller and smaller. Some of narrowest points, only one line of people could go through, and these line exposed to crenel, stone drop, and alley of gunfire. Some part, the gates and/or ceilings are so low that warriors cannot hold their spears and other big and/or long weapons up straight.

http://medievalcastles.stormthecastle.co…

No comments:

Post a Comment