Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I am hosting a Japanese Exchange student and...?

Question:


I discovered that (after forms were sent and things were final) that on the saturday I have a full day excursion. They are here for 8 days (2 of which are weekend) and I don't know whether I should A: have my parents look after her and take her on a bush walk, B: ask if someone else is able to look after her for a day C: Not attend the excursion even though it is a rare opportunity. I feel terribly bad that I can't be there. I am trying to make it up the next day by taking her dolphin watching, but will saturday be too awkward for her(she is 14)?

Answer:


Depends on when the excursion is. If you introduce her to your parents before the day, and explain that they'll be taking her around that day, it should be OK.

But seriously, for your student, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. If you can attend the excursion another year, it might be best to forgo the opportunity.

If you decide to go, make the most out of the other seven days, and do what you can to make they day you are gone memorable. Also, try and get someone to explain what's happening if her English isn't the best (and I'm assuming you aren't fluent in Japanese . . . forgive me if that's not the case).

No comments:

Post a Comment