Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Travel During Obon Festival?

Question:


Hi everyone.

I am studying abroad in Korea starting August 18th, but wanted to fly into Narita August 15th and spend a few days (3) wandering about Tokyo beforehand.

My plans do not include travel to any other major cities, but I was considering taking a day to visit either Tobu Zoo amusement park just north of the city, or Fuji-Q highlands further out.

From what I can gather, the Obon festival seems to cause airport travel and travel outside of Tokyo to be super duper crowded-which I can deal with. But is it true that in Tokyo (all the main sights and areas) will actually be less crowded than should be expected for high-summer?

More importantly, since Fuji-Q is noted as one of the most crowded theme parks in the world, should I just go ahead and forget trying to go there now? Do the Japanese tend to visit resorts during this time or the opposite?

Answer:


>But is it true that in Tokyo (all the main sights and areas) will actually be less crowded than should be expected for high-summer?

Yes. During Obon, many people in Tokyo just go back to their homes in rural Japan. So it's less crowded within Tokyo.

>More importantly, since Fuji-Q is noted as one of the most crowded theme parks in the world, should I just go ahead and forget trying to go there now? Do the Japanese tend to visit resorts during this time or the opposite?

Well, I'm not sure specifically on Fuji-Q. But you have to note that travel is MUCH less likely for Japanese and foreign tourists now as there is radiation fear.

So some data of last year and before does not help in any way. I think Fuji-Q must be much less crowded than usual this summer. But it might recover somehow as August is 4 months away.

No comments:

Post a Comment