Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Is wanting to be a mangaka a hopeless dream in the USA or Japan?

Question:


Lol I bet you've heard this question a million times! But I don't think it would hurt just once more right? ;) Okay so I, like many other kids my age (13) want to be a part of the anime/manga community, but that's not my dream I just want to one day be a good illustrator like online or something not a full blown published comic after school college..etc. A lot of kids want to be mangaka right of the bat at my school and I don't really think it can happen considering MOST american manga doesn't sell well like seven sea's publshing. I wanted to too but then that dream sort of died down. There are people like Mark Crilley who make it work though, but to my understanding he has japanese family so it should be a bit easier as far as customs/translations. And doesn't Japan not like foreigners? I don't mean like hate but there's certain restricition in jobs/housing, So it would be difficult to become a mangaka considering there's tons of other people who want the same job who are native speakers. So what do you think? Is it impossible to be a genuine mangaka? Even though manga is just comics in japanese. And isn't the pay not as good unless your kishimoto or kubo lol?

Answer:


Nope, it's not hopeless but rather a complicated and difficult one. You can be a manga-ka but it requires you to be x10 hardworking & x10 patient. The manga industry is very demanding, very competitive and most of all very cruel. Publishers can reject you right away in just under a minute. And if you are very naive you might face many copyright issues. So it's important to be very knowledgeable not only in drawing but in the business itself.

so ANYWAY.
your best hope right now or the next coming years would be attend manga or comic conventions. These conventions give opportunities to aspiring manga-ka. some could even have manga writing contest. So research if there'll be such convention happening in your city or big cities near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment