Tuesday, April 26, 2011

What should I get for my Japanese neighbours?

Question:


I'm moving to Tokyo very soon for a job, and it was mentioned in the company's welcome pack that it is a good idea to get little gifts for new neighbours, since this is a Japanese custom.

Has anyone done this themselves? Any idea what constitutes an appropriate gift? How many nieghbours - just for next door? The whole floor? The whole block (I hope not)?

Thanks!

Answer:


How about indoor slippers? You can just give the nearest apartments to you (3-4). Or food.. People love food. Because you might give something they already have that they won't be able to use.

Anyway, I think that's a new custom made usually by foreigners (?) not really sure. Because we had a new neighbor, who moved from the Kansai, years years ago (2003, I think) and they never gave us gifts lol. Their house is nearly in front of ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment