Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Which is more worth? An Austrian nationality (passport) or a Japanese nationality (passport)?

Question:


Currently I have the Japanese nationality (passport), but I am considering obtaining the Austrian nationality, so I have a EU passport. However, if I do, I will lose the Japanese nationality...

I live in Europe, that's why I am considering this, but I am torn! Should I lose my Japanese passport (all my relatives are Japanese)...???

Answer:


I had the same dilemma. I am from a small and insignificant European country which allows only 1 citizenship. I have lived in UK, so I have a permanent residency card still, however I am married with an Indian and live in India right now. I wanted to get an Indian citizenship because I wanted to have the same citizenship as my husband but if I do, then I will have to get a visa to visit Europe, including my own country. So the decision was quite easy, to keep a EU passport and live in India on a spouse visa (my daughter too has a European passport).

Just weigh the preferences and it will be easy to work it out. Maybe you could wait until Japan law allows multiple citizenship and then you could get an Australian one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment