Thursday, May 19, 2011

Would South Korea be the best choice to teach English in?

Question:


Hi, I'm trying to figure out where to go and teach English. There are 3 countries that I would really like to work in but I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards South Korea, and I'll tell you why.
CORRECT me if I'm wrong but I feel even though Japan pays A LOT, the living cost are pretty high and I wouldn't be able to save a whole lot of money.
In China they pay very little, most provide free accommodation, but then again, it's very cheap over there. I know I wouldn't spend a lot of money, but they pay between $1000-1500 a month. I'm not sure about that.
And here is why I would choose South Korea, and you tell me if you agree.
From what I heard they pay WAY better than China but a little less than Japan. And it's WAY cheaper over there than in Japan. Would I save a lot of money?
Do you agree that South Korea is the best choice to teach English and save money?

Thanks!

Answer:


South Korea is probably your best place to be.
Make sure you understand the contract before going.
Often they will provide an apartment for you, and where you are in each country makes a big difference.
You do not want to be in a back water town in China.
You can make extra money tutoring students, nights and week ends.
Korea might be a little cheaper than Japan, but that depends on whether or not they are going to provide housing.
You are not going to save a lot of money, but if you don't spend much you can save around $10,000 per year.

No comments:

Post a Comment