Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A couple questions for those people who live/have lived/immigrated to Japan.?

Question:


First off a little about myself. I am currently 20 years old, turning 21 in October of this year. I am going into my 3rd year of college at the University of Maine at Presque Isle for a Business bachelors with a focus in management. I have always been fascinated with Japan and its culture / society. I am an anime love (I know that Japan is generally nothing like what it is portrayed in an anime. [Bleach fan]). I am currently attempting to self teach myself the Japanese language using Rosetta Stone levels 1, 2 and 3. I find that it is going fairly well so far. about halfway through lesson Unit 1 in level 1.
I have held jobs at a few different places since I was 15 and am currently running the inventory at my parents store. Nothing major but it always helps. I am also going to try and go on a 3 month student exchange to Tokyo to take a 12 credit Intensive Japanese language course, this will allow me to get a good feel for the country and maybe even help me scout some employers? I am just looking forward to the experience =]

Now for the questions.

1. How hard would it be for me to get a job using my degree in Japan, doesn't have to be Tokyo but I love the city and want to be near one. Won't be for a couple more years, just a general question on how foreigners do in Japan.

2. I look at pictures and read websites on current culture in Japan, (http://www.dannychoo.com is my favorite at the moment) and it seems like foreigners are not uncommon as long as they have gone to college have a degree and know the language to a degree. Confirm/Deny?

3. I know that children learn Kanji immediately entering school all the way through high school. Is there a curriculum or book chain that I can use to help? Or is there a easy way to learn Kanji, it is the only part of the language proving to make me a little nervous.

I found some extremely cheep plane tickets from airlines.com i believe it was that go from Boston to Tokyo for like 300$ however the real question is How much Yen should I have for a 3 month stay during the exchange? I will be staying at the dorms but I will need to buy food. (not a fan of fast food, I like to stay healthy, running working out ect so I cook more than eat out)

5. Anything else you would like to share about Japan or advice to give me?

All answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Answer:


1, Generally, it's very hard to get a decent job in Japan now as Japan is in the middle of worst recession after WW2.

2, It depends on what you mean by common. Generally, there are not many foreigners in Japan.

3, I think you can search on Amazon or something to find a good book. There is no easy way to learn kanji.

4, I think $1500 for 1 month, $4500 for 3 months is reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment