Tuesday, July 5, 2011

In Japanese culture, is there an animal symbol for death?

Question:


What are some other symbols

Answer:


as for plants, I know the Chrysanthemum is associated with death.
I'm thinking, but I do not see so many. I think negative animal associations are fairly universal. The first person mentioned crows, and black cats was white my wife (Japanese) said when I asked her. European and Asian culture are not completely different, you know. The number 4, as you may know, is associated with death, because of its reading is the same as the word for death ("shi.") Getting back to animals, there are no shortage of supernatural beings associated with death, such as ghosts and demons and monsters, but I really can't think of any real animals that are not shared by the West (Europe and North America.)

No comments:

Post a Comment