Tuesday, July 5, 2011

How to type in Japanese keyboard (not IME)?

Question:


I was wondering how to transition my keyboard from Microsoft IME to the more traditional kind of Japanese keyboard, where you just need to press one key to get a hiragana symbol. I know most ppl use IME nowadays, but I just want to try the other keyboard for fun/experimental purposes.

I saw that someone asked this before and the answerer wrote:
push ALT key + カタカナ・ひらがなkey

but I don't understand..where is this カタカナ・ひらがなkey?
Because I tried a few things and it didn't work.. -__-

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me an answer.
どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

Answer:


You have to get a new keyboard. Specifically, a Japanese keyboard. Pretty much the same as a standard keyboard, but with hiragana on the keys in addition to the Roman letters. There are also those extra keys that you mentioned. In my Device Manager under Keyboard it shows "Japanese PS/2 Keyboard (106/109 Key)".

The installation isn't the easiest thing to do. Well, it's complicated enough that I don't remember how to do it without instructions whenever I reinstall the OS. But it's not brain surgery either. Here's a link for installing it on Win XP. It will differ slightly with Win 7, but a Google search will turn up something for you.

http://www.jcu.edu/language/llc/keyboard…


Here's one for Win 7 just for reference. I looked through it quickly and don't like the way you have to navigate from step to step. Point is, the info is out there.

http://www.yesjapan.com/install_japanese…

No comments:

Post a Comment