Friday, July 8, 2011

Good exchange student programs to Japan?

Question:


I am currently a rising junior at my University and I have wanted to go to Japan for as long as I can remember. Now, my school does have a summer program to go to Japan, but I want something that is less than the whole summer. So my question to you guys is: What is a good foreign exchange program that lets you do a short summer trip (month or so) or a winter trip (in between semesters) for college students?? I have looked around and found out about the JET, AFS, and Rotary Exchange programs, but I want to know if there are other good options out there for the trip I want to Japan.

Thank you all in advance :)

Answer:


You could try a language school like the Yamasa Institute. They have programs of varying lengths, and you could probably manage to go for just a month in the summer.

JET is a teaching program, not a student exchange program. You are expected to move to Japan for a minimum of one year to teach English in Japanese schools, and you need to have completed a Bachelor's degree before you will even be considered. Every other teaching program I have ever seen in Japan has these same basic requirements. The degree requirement is set by the government as a requirement of getting a work visa in Japan, while the one-year limit is just a matter of practicality. People are lining up in droves to teach in Japan, and most of them are willing to work for at least a year, so there is absolutely no reason for schools and programs to hire teachers for anything less than that. They certainly don't need anyone who will only stay for a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment