Wednesday, August 17, 2011

How easy would it be for me to live/work in Tokyo?

Question:


Basically, I am an 18 year old male who is in limbo of whether i'll get into university or not and so have decided to live in Japan for a few months if I don't get in. I am lucky to possess both japanese and english citizenship (due to my mother being Japanese). This would eliminate any initial visa/immigration problems as I am a citizen.

However, as this would be my first fully independent trip to another country, I was just wondering if anybody could share some advice about how easy it would be for me to acquire work in Tokyo. I do speak Japanese however, unfortunately, it is very limited and basic. However, I am lucky in the fact that I am very tall in Japan (as the majority of the population is under 5' 10 and I am just over 6ft) and because I am half english, I have an 'unusual' half caucasian half oriental face which I believe would bode well as appearence is very important in Japan.

Other advice including how much money you would advise to take for a minimum of a 2 month stay and how expensive travel and accomadtion is etc
Thanks in advance!

Answer:


If you stay in Japan just for 2 months, I think you better see yourself as a tourist. That means you have to save money before visiting Japan. I think it's easier.

But if you still want to work in Japan,,,

It depends on what kind of job you want to have, whether you can find it in Japan.

You are not saying that you will stay in Japan for years. So it must be a part-time job, not a full-time job because full-time jobs are for those who will work for years.

Anyway, if you have a Japanese citizenship, you won't have any visa problem. But your limited language skill will be disadvantage.

I don't think you can work at stores if you don't speak Japanese well. So the realistic option will be like "physical labor", like cleaning, moving, working as a factory, etc. But you can do those jobs without much Japanese skill. So there is some hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment