Friday, September 23, 2011

Tips for an exchange student to Japan?

Question:


I'm going on exchange to Japan soon and stressing out because I feel I'm not prepared. I just hosted a student from Japan and we have become really good friends, and I am going to stay with him while on exchange. He was so organized and prepared he had all his travel documents and English language guides and all these other things which I don't have. His English skills improved immensely to a level way beyond my abilities in Japanese, and I feel there is going to be no one whatsoever that will speak fluent English when I go. And there's also the problem with food, as his family eats fish 3 or 4 times a week. I really hate fish and get stomach aches when I eat the smallest part of any fish. I don't know how to tell organizers of the exchange at school about this, or the family themselves, because i really don't want to disturb the normal meals and routine of the household. If there are any tips to help me with these small problems it would be really appreciated

Answer:


As far as language, I wouldn't stress a ton that his English is better than your Japanese. America is unique (in not a good way) in that our students don't have the option to take any foreign language classes until middle school in some larger school districts and high school in the smaller ones. Most countries teach their children English starting at a young age, when the mind is more open to language skills. If worst comes to worst, ask the other student for help - if his English is as good as you say, he should be a good help.

As for your organization, I would try to get your stuff together as much as possible, but some people are just more organized than others. My best friend recently left for Thailand, and she had all her stuff together months in advance. However, another of my friend's sisters went to Turkey, and she barely had any time.

When it comes to diet, I would say try to adopt the eating habits of the family, but if you really can't adapt and the fish continues to make you sick, talk to whoever does the cooking and ask if there is an alternative you could have. While you are supposed to immerse yourself in the culture, if doing so makes you physically sick... =p

Above all, do your best to stop worrying and stressing out. You will have plenty of time for that when you get there and you're feeling homesick and have culture shock. ...Kidding! But the nerves will most likely be worse when you get there. So try to relax. Trying to force a language down your own throat won't help you learn it. =p

No comments:

Post a Comment