Friday, October 7, 2011

Starting a nuka doko for the first time..(Japanese pickles)?

Question:


I've been wanting to have my own nuka doko for a while now and so I've purchased some iri nuka from my local grocer. After carefully reading the back of the packages (I can speak some Japanese), there wasn't any mention on how to season the nuka for the first time. I've read slices of ginger and (of course) kombu and garlic but how long do I keep them in the bed? Do I keep them in for the suggested 4-5 days or should I insert new flavoring agents daily? Also, I can't find a traditional toko for my nukadoko, so would I be able to use tupperware? I know that completely sealing the bed is a no-no, so I would leave the lid *very* lose. Thank you :)

Answer:


Hope this site will help you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nukazuke

No comments:

Post a Comment