Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do people from Okinawa (Japan) really eat lots of tofu and soy products?

Question:


My friends mom is from some other part of Japan and says her dad said it's only a small part pf the meal though eaten several times a week. In longevity websites they make it seem the Japanese eat lots of it everyday to live long. Anyone else know anymore?

Answer:


Hi there~ In my observations while in Japan, tofu is generally eaten as an accompaniment to meals. Your friend's father is right and yes, if not eaten every day, some form of soy (not processed "veggie burger" soy products, mind you) is consumed several times a week. Popular choices are edamame and natto. Often times, Japanese children eat natto, rice, and miso soup for breakfast some days; toast with jam and a boiled egg on others. (I've worked with Japanese children in Japan, so these examples are definitely true~)

Red meat and chicken are present in the Japanese diet but the serving size is definitely not as large as here in the US (where I'm more familiar with). Fish is served in many different ways, including grilled, steamed, broiled, fried and raw.

In terms of longevity I doubt the answer is *just* eating soy. My best guess is that it is a combination of things, like portion control (good BMI = fewer risks for cancers, obesity, etc), good climate (in Okinawa), and of course an individual's basic lifestyle. I do agree with the previous person that the "good for you stuff" in green tea (カテキン) may play a role in maintaining good health.

I am not a doctor or in the health profession, so if my facts are wrong about longevity, please let me know. I am merely trying my best to come up with good examples.

Hope this helps~ :)

No comments:

Post a Comment