Thursday, March 17, 2011

Questions regarding teaching/education (not a teacher of English)?

Question:


... I know this is not the right time to ask, but I'm just analyzing my future possibilities and thinking whether I should for a candidate's/doctor's degree.

I KNOW there are Russian courses/majors in Japanese universities. Do native Russians teach them? Or do Japanese professors teach them? Subjects like Russian language, Russian history/literature, etc.

I have a pretty good teaching experience in general, but I've been thinking of going for a candidate's or even a doctor's degree in teaching. But I have no interest to teach in Russia. I've also been invited to work in the US as of late at a college. But I'm still unsure and am considering all possibilities.

The reason I'm asking about teaching Russian in Japan is because I've been contacted quite a few times by people studying Russian at Japanese universities who wanted to exchange culture experience (well, you know those language exchange websites). So even though the interest in Russian language is minimal, it still exists.

(I'm studying Japanese myself).

So I have a few questions:

1) I have a degree in Management. But I'm going to get a Master's degree in Education, because I'm not interested in Management.

2) Do universities require a university degree or a doctor's degree to teach at them?

3) Would they accept a native to teach her own language at the university?

Answer:


It probably depends on the school, but the majority will be taught by Japanese professors as Japan does not have a high international employment rate and the Japanese language isn't known at a high enough level by most foreigners to be able to competently teach.

1. Where is your question?
2. At least a master's degree is required.
3. You will need to have more experience with the Russian language than just being from Russia. Simply being a native speaker is fine for cases such as JET where you are a *helper* teacher working alongside a trained professional, but as a professor of your own class you need to have the proper credentials and a degree in management doesn't teach you anything about the Russian language or the teaching of the Russian language, not to mention you will likely be required to be near-fluent in Japanese to teach OR near-fluent in English and teach at an international school where courses are held in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment