Friday, April 22, 2011

Is it wrong for me to respect japan for ww2.?

Question:


many people respect japan cuz of anime and video games and manga. but I respect them for their imperial army. I though it was amazing how when they ran out of ammo during the battle of iwo jima they would charge at a machine gun and rather die than surrender. they certainly were fearless and powerful soldiers

Answer:


I am Japanese; I do think the war with the US in the Pacific was unavoidable.
But, I do not support the military government of Japan during the war. Two million Japanese soldiers lost their lives. I admit that they fought bravely not only on Iwojima but in the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and all over the Pacific islands, but in reality, they were the victims of the stupidity of the our military government. The more I read the documents of the war, the more I am convinced that their war strategies were criminally stupid and wrong.

I visit the Yasukuni Shrine every year to pay respect for our soldiers (most of them, including my grandfather, were drafted, poorly trained civilians), but I hate our military government during the war.
As the result of WWII, two million Japanese soldiers (again, most of them were drafted civilians and college students) were slaughtered by the Japanese government. And, one million civilians (women and children) in Japan were killed by US carpet bombing throughout our country, including two nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I do respect our soldiers who fought for our nation, but I would never forgive our military government of Japan during WWII.

No comments:

Post a Comment