Sunday, May 29, 2011

What is the correct business etiquette when meeting a Japanese?

Question:


A while ago my manager (an Australian) and I had a meeting with a senior manager from fairly large Japanese company in Australia, the Japanese manager also bought his Australian colleague. When I came to shank hands with the Japanese manager, I smiled and went to shake his hands like usual, he also smiled and shook my hands but then he bowed down in front of me, this was the first time I met a Japanese manager who bowed down, I wasn’t sure what to do so I immediately bowed down too (he didn’t bow down with my Australian manager, maybe it was because I am Asian and he assumed I should bow?)

I wasn’t sure how low was I suppose to bow or whether I was suppose to let go of his hand when I bow, I basically did a small bow while still shaking his hand. I felt quite unnatural, and he obviously sensed the awkwardness, I think he was immediately offended that I only did a small bow or that I did not bow down at same time as he did or I did not know the correct business etiquette. Anyhow, after that initial “handshake”, he obviously became cold towards me throughout the rest of the meeting.

What is the correct etiquette in this situation?

Thank you.

Answer:


I think your problem does not relate to etiquette.
Generally, negative/offensive things are not allowed in Japanese society. So, these things are always expressed in indirect way. It means skilled people can detect many things through your reactions. Ignorant people might feel as if it were telepathy. Many travelers experience it at ryokans in Japan. They use this sense to make you comfortable.

Do you remember what you did here? Through your actions, everybody knows your inferiority complex to Japan. I think it will be shown evidently in your face. Skilled Japanese businessmen will detect your offensive mind immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment