Thursday, June 9, 2011

Do Japanese hate their own indirectness?

Question:


Japanese people I know seem to spend a lot of time saying things they don't mean to avoid saying "no" or saying anything negative directly. To Americans, this comes across as just not being truthful. I wonder, how do Japanese feel about their own "shakou jirei?" Wouldn't it just be easier to say what one means to begin with and not make other people have to guess what they really mean?

Answer:


@ Thardus...... yep, have to say you were rude. You took up that person's time with NO inclination to buy the clothes? Makes you appear rude and inconsiderate. In fact, you WERE rude and inconsiderate. You could have said you were just looking from the outset and proceeded on your own. So maybe you did do what you should have done, admitted flat-out that you were rude and inconsiderate. But that isn't really an example of what is being asked, at least IMHO.

As for whether or not the Japanese hate their own indirectness, I doubt it. I've had many discussions on the matter with my wife and she gives it full support. Directness is often considered rude, especially when it involves a disagreement with another person. That's just the way the Japanese are. Live with it, as they learn it early. Salesmen come to the house and if I answer the door, I first ensure that they are, indeed, a salesman and then I tell them, quite directly but politely, that I am not interested. My youngest daughter heard me doing this the other day and said I was being mean. Sorry. I'm not going to stand around and listen to their spiel, like I see the neighbors do all the time, thus wasting my time and the salesman's. Sorry, not interested. Bye. I'm also not going to get the solar panel salesman to give me all the background on his company, their development techniques, operating costs, pay-back time and everything else about the product and then say, "Oh, sorry, but I don't really want to buy. I'm just interested in solar energy."

EDIT: I have to admit, you lost me entirely with your "Additional Details". That stuff has a really high HF, (Huh Factor).

No comments:

Post a Comment