Thursday, June 9, 2011

How to pronounce vowel sounds like ae, ui, oi, and other combinations.?

Question:


I'm good at pronouncing right now but I want to be sure I have vowel sounds that are put together right. I am also wondering about the Hiragana combinations rya, ryu, and ryo. I have no idea how to pronounce an r next to a y. :)

Answer:


ae is more like 'ai' than 'ay' but without the final dragged out 'i' sound (this is not a good explanation but dont worry, more on this later)

ui is like saying 'gooey' quickly without the g...I really dont know how someone could mess this one up.

Oi...oy as in oy vay or ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi...

My written explanations might not be good. You can go to google translate or http://virtualfrenchtutor.com/site.php/s… and input あえ、うい、おい、etc in and click listen. (virtual french tutor is very good for this purpose)
You can also input the following to hear these sounds used in words like:
Sanae さなえ
Hae はえ

Yui ゆい

Nioi におい

As for ryu, ryo etc, I also had a hard time getting my tongue around this when I first started learning, but I quickly got the hang of it. It helps to start out by saying 'dyu', 'dyo', 'dya' and then transitioning your tongue to just behind your top teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment