Sunday, October 2, 2011

Are Japanese racists?

Question:


In general, do the Japanese want to yell Gaijin, go home, and hate or dislike foreigners? I've been to Tokyo once, and I only received a very warm first impression. Where ever I went, people were very nice and polite to me. I got lots of attention and I loved it. I feel so lonely in general, and having people bumping into me, smiling at me (more than usual), trying to speak Japanese to me, is just flattering. But in such places as youtube lots of people are talking about the negative attitude the Japanese have. What is the truth?

Answer:


The facade of politeness is normal in Japan. They overtly show restraint and control especially the older people. No matter how they dislike a person they will be poised and stoic to foreigners. They will receive you warmly and politely. This is the way they are. To lose control and composure and yell "out go home Gaijin" is un-japanese and dishonorable.

In answer to your question, no not all Japanese are racist just like not all French are racist or any other people for that matter. However, unlike other countries, in Japan you would not be able to tell who is racist or not in the elder generation because by custom they are very restraining and polite people. They will go out of their way to be nice while keeping their head high because image and honor is very important to them.

Only the younger Japanese generation will openly show their dislike and blurt out racist comments and such. Some of the newer generation do not respect the same tradition like the elders and some even join hate group.

No comments:

Post a Comment