Sunday, October 2, 2011

Should I walk on the right or left side of the sidewalk in Japan?

Question:


I'm moving to Tokyo but I'm currently in Narita. Where I am in Narita is not very busy, so it is hard to "follow the crowds"... One of my pet peeves in America was left-hand drivers and people who walk on the left side of the sidewalk, so I really don't want to bother people by making it hard to pass me! T_T And is it different in other parts of Japan?

Thanks!

Answer:


If there is no sidewalk you should walk on the right side of the street in order to face oncoming cars.
If there is a sidewalk you should walk on the left as that way the person on the edge of the sidewalk will be facing the oncoming cars.
@kazuto, The law says that bicycle must ride on the left side of the street if there is no sidewalk, like any other vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment