Sunday, October 2, 2011

How is life in Tokyo Japan?

Question:


Is it as exciting and flashy that i see in the movies and documentaries?
I am a European lawyer and i would like to move in Tokyo for work. It's easy for a European man to get a job there? Salaries are good? Enlighten me please.

Answer:


I lived about 20 minutes away from Tokyo station by bicycle.
I loved these 4 years. With a bicycle, you can visit so many attractive places. With train, even better. Houses and all sorts of services are crammed up in a narrow area, so I did not need to walk much to live. Food, cleaning, shopping, medicine... I could access all sorts of these with walking and bicycle. People in the recent years are moving to Tokyo area, because it is convenient.
There are a lot of museums, too. But there are really minus aspects. One thing I hated was noise. If you live in the center of Tokyo, you will be hearing siren of ambulance, or a some drunkard shouting at the middle of the night. I always could hear noise from highway a little far apart. The other thing is air. I think air is polluted. And one thing I advise to you. Do not rent an old room. The room may be constructed from asbestos and you may end up inhaling a small amount. Long and repetitive inhaling of even a small amount can be lethal. I hate old rooms. I try to find the rooms constructed after 2001. I think it was late 90's asbestos was banned from construction process. But the newer the better. Now I live about 1 hour on train from Tokyo. It is quiet and air is clean. But not as exciting as Tokyo. If you like downtown, then Tokyo is good. But if you don't like restless life, then you should be careful to find where to live. Other things to consider is the safety : Go to a police station and ask if the town if safe. Probably most areas are peaceful. But just in case. I loved these 4 years in the central Tokyo. But for air and noise reasons, I don't think I can live there again. My opinion. I lived in Ningyocho, which is close to Tokyo station. I know there are quiet areas in Tokyo. But I don't know about these areas. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment