Sunday, October 16, 2011

Is it okay to visit Japan next year?

Question:


I'm a university student and I was chosen as a Japan exchange student. At first I was very glad but after watching all the news about radiation in Tokyo, I start feeling that I made a bad choice.
What should I do? Do I need to cancel the right of Exchange student? I have 5 days to decide whether I go or not....

FYI:
I'm supposed to be in Shinjuku for 4 months from Apil,2012.

Answer:


Tokyo is safe to visit right now.

News on radiation is overblown and most of the cases have NO connection to Fukushima. For example the most recent case, was old powered form used in paints found in an old house from the 1950s, it was not uncommon for radium 226 to be used in florescent paints in the 1950s (radium 226 is not used in nuclear reactors), no danger at all to the public, nor was it connected to the nuclear power plant at all.

Again just SENSATIONALISM news. People seem to go ape crazy these days at even the mention of the word "radiate" when one needs to study these facts objectively.

Truthfully speaking, no matter where in the world you are, if you went out with a geiger counter (radiation detection device) you will find "hotspots" in your own neighborhood that appear to be higher then your surroundings. This of course is usually very explainable by many reasons and usually safe.

Each day the earth and yourself is pounded by radiation from all sources (the sun, rocks in the ground, your phone, the computer you are sitting in front of).

Yes you should go, or you can fall into the crowd of mass hysteria of godzilla and mt. fuji exploding and not go to Tokyo. Your call.

No comments:

Post a Comment