Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Questions about moving to Japan?

Question:


Hey guys, I LOVE Japan and I plan to go there for 90 days in 2012 but I am just wondering, say I love it so much I want to move:

1. What is the average salary like? By that I mean, will I be 'poor' even though I will have a masters in Software Engineering and possibly a PhD. To future clarify I mean: Even though Tokyo is an expensive place to live in, will any wage I make with said qualifications counter that to a large extent or would I have more 'net money' if I was to stay in Australia where I am now.

I know money is a bit of a douche thing to ask but financial stability matters to me.

2. What is it like for foreigners and high job positions? Would I be just as easily accepted for the job if I showed better qualities, or would a Japanese person be preferred? (I am fairly sure this is a no, just asking though).

Answer:


You are unlikely to be hired as an engineer unless you can offer something the Japanese really need that they can't find among themselves. That is why English teaching is the number one employment vehicle for foreigners. Salary depends on the type of work you are doing and the skills required (not to mention the competition for the job). English teachers make the minimum wage of 250,000 yen per month before taxes. Hard to say what you'd make for software given so many variables. But for cost of living, which you should also be researching, it is very high, especially in Tokyo for rent. Look at
www.tokyopriceguide.com for some good useful info.

No comments:

Post a Comment