Monday, December 12, 2011

Would it be better for an American to live in Russia or Japan?

Question:


I am more dark complected so dont know if they would look to as an American unless they asked but...

I fairly decent in my japanese and recently started learning russian. Id really only want to visit one of them and though i know prejudice is all around which place would i find more friendly.

Not to say that one is better than the other since they are special in their own regards :) but i just want to know your opinion. Right now im in ohio (if that matters).

Answer:


Hi. In 2002, I was deciding between Russia and Japan. I chose Japan. Although I love Russian culture, and the language. Japan turned out to be a good choice. But let me explain some things:

1. There is much more racism in Russia. There are Neo-nazis and ethnic violence in Russia. Especially against non-whites or people from the Caucausus
2. There is much more violence in Russia. The cops will kill you, the gangs will kill you, alcoholism is rampant, and the mafia runs many parts of the country.
3. Did I mention the Nazis? You are dark complected and American: two things they do not like.

Sorry, Russia really is a fascinating place, and you may have no problems there, but from a safety standpoint and racism, I'd say Japan is much better.

Let me put it this way: even the USSR in 1980 was a safer place to visit than present-day Russia. And that is scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment