Sunday, March 20, 2011

Does Kyoto, Japan have a strong prominent beauty industry?

Question:


I am currently a cosmetologist in the United States. I have visited Kyoto and absolutely loved it. I am a 20 year old Caucasian male. I would like to work in Kyoto at a salon. Of course I would have to apprentice or assist seeing as Japanese licensing requirements are different. I have a very limited Japanese vocabulary. I have found a few programs to learn Japanese in Kyoto that I am currently researching. I have calculated and found that I can afford the expenses of living in Kyoto. I am aware that the Japanese usually will not hire foreigners to work for them if they have someone that is Japanese and is completely capable of doing the work. What I am hoping for and betting on is that I may be able to get a job in Kyoto due to the fact that I have a knowledge of doing western hair, primarily Caucasian hair. Kyoto is a place were many tourists visit and a place of business for foreigners. Maybe my skills would be valuable to a stylist there as would there skills be valuable to me. I am just wondering if anyone knows of any english capable salons in Kyoto. I have been in contact with the few I know of. Also what are my chances of actually getting hired. Of course the language barrier aspect is a HUGE road block, but I am currently working on that. I also realize that the Japanese people are very gentle. I think I would have to over come some barriers to gain the trust of a clientel. My personal opinion is that Japanese woman may be nervous to let a white male work on their hair until I was able to gain their trust. Does anyone have any tips or advice. How should I go about doing this. Anything really helps.

Answer:


You need to take tests in Japanese to get a Japanese license. For that you need native level Japanese. And that means reading , writing and speaking. Also most Japanese women would not go to a non-Japanese stylist.
Chances of getting hired ? Just about zero. You asked.
You also need a BA / BS degree to qualify for a work visa, as well as a job offer before you get there. The only jobs we can get there are jobs a Japanese can't or won't do.
Sorry if I sound too harsh or blunt, but I would expect the same if I asked someone a question. Japan isn't a easy place to find work in. And the current situation had put a lot of people out of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment