Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's the best situation to start up a conversation? (Japan)?

Question:


I'm a 6'4" white gaijin in Okinawa. I can speak Japanese, but I'm not entirely fluent yet. I know how to converse, but I was never really taught when it was culturally acceptable to talk to strangers. From the materials I've read and from simple observation, there isn't much in the way of interactions between strangers.

So I guess here's the simplified question: what situations would be socially acceptable to attempt to start up a conversation with a stranger? (not including a bar/club) I'm not looking for a girlfriend or anything, just trying to practice my language skills, and be a good representative of the US.

Any suggestions, preferably from someone living/has lived in Japan, would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:


Your first sentence - "Im a 6'4" white gaijin in Okinawa" says it all really. (And I dont mean that in a negative way :D )

I live in Kansai, and Im a white girl, and I have never, ever had any problems with conversing with people. Kansai-jin are friendly and open, and are curious about other people, and will ask you up front. Maybe the fact I am a bit chubby and genki helps, but I don't know.

However .. Okinawa. Ouch. I think its probably because people do not WANT to talk to you (not you personally, but tall white guys) because you epitomize everything they dislike. They don't want foreigners there, and they certainly don't want a marine base. (I don't know if you are military or not, but they will assume that you are.) As a result, If I were you, I would avoid attempting to force conversations with unknown Japanese people unless THEY start them. Unfortunately It doesn't matter how nice a guy you are, or how good a representative of the US you are, they are just going to see you as a "bakagaijin" who is forcing yourself on their land etc etc etc blah b;ah.

I said before - I have no problems conversing with Japanese in Kansai, however I would NEVER start a conversation with a stranger. I would feel kind of guilty doing that, as I know that I would be peeved in my home country if someone started talking to me JUST to help with their second language.

Plus its Japanese culture 101 - Japanese people in general are private. They want to be left alone for the most part. The reason you cant find anything on interactions between strangers is because these interactions almost never exist. I would respect this culture, and try to remember that Japanese people are intrinsically pretty shy, and would stick to people who are happy to mix and converse with foreigners.

My personal suggestion of a good thing to do would be to go on the local message boards/newspaper/foreign magazine and advertise for a language exchange - you teach english for half the lesson and the other person teaches Japanese for half.

Alternatively why not join a non-american club or something? I dont know if you can read Japanese, but I had a look online and I typed in "Okinawa" and "Clubs" and a whole load of stuff came up. Golf, music, Ikebana. Whatever you like really.

Within the club there will be opportunities to speak to new people in Japanese, but in a context where you both feel comfortable and have a common interest.

Hope I helped a little :) Im not trying to sound passive aggressive at all, just trying to explain (from an Okinawan perspective) you might have trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment