Sunday, June 26, 2011

Could someone please explain to me Japan's same-sex marriage law?

Question:


It says that a Japanese national can marry a foreign citizen of a country that legalizes same-sex marriages.

Take this for example: A Japanese man is attending college in the United States. He meets and falls in love with an American man. They want to get married, and the Japanese man wants to take his lover with him back to Japan when he finishes school.

So... could they get married in, say, NY state, and then move back to Japan, free and clear? I really need someone to explain the mechanics of this law to me.

Answer:


It seems like the people answering this question might not be aware of the fact that it was announced that if a Japanese marries a foreigner who is a citizen of a country where same sex marriage is legal, the marriage will be recognized in Japan. I've read this a long time ago, and I actually read it again last night but unfortunately can't remember the source where I saw it. Whether this is currently true, I don't know, but I do know it was at least being considered.
This probably doesn't help you, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment