Sunday, June 26, 2011

Is it true that Japanese people do not want Americans in Japan?

Question:


A person who lives in Japan but was born in America said they shout things at her in the street. I also hear Americans can't get certain jobs in Japan. On the other hand, I hear that everyone there is nice but they stare a lot. What really happens to foreigners?

Answer:


Well it depends on who you run into which is the same for anywhere else that you go.
I mean it's not just Japan... you could probably go to any foreign country and have the same problem.

Through my experience in Japan, I can seriously count on one hand the rude comments I received which I think they said not knowing I would hear since they probably thought I couldn't understand Japanese.
But out of those few rude comments there were tons of people who were so polite and nice!
Believe me I had to ask a lot of people for directions as I really can't follow a map to save my life, and so many people took the time and stopped to help me. One girl even went so far as to walk me to the train station!

Most people in Japan are really polite and they don't really stare... I mean if you wear something that is a bit out there or have like neon hair than yes of course they will stare xD hah
But no I got a few stares, but no more normal than I would get just walking around in the mall here or something. (I'm fairly normal and I don't wear outrageous clothes)
There were also a lot of people who tried to talk in English but more in the fact that I think they just wanted to practice it more than anything :) It really is no problem at all and they were so considerate.

Also EDIT
Well of course you can't get certain jobs unless you have a work visa which is usually specific about how many years you can stay before citizenship, but even then it can be a long and hard journey to obtain. It's the same for any country really, but I do admit Japan's system is a bit more strict than others. One of the top jobs in Japan for foreigners is an English teacher :)

No comments:

Post a Comment