Wednesday, July 6, 2011

American girl moving to Japan D:?

Question:


Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Japanese culture and have always wanted to go there. And it looks like I'm getting my wish xD but it's so bittersweet for me, since i barely speak any Japanese. So I have a few questions:
I am 15 years old and going into the 10th grade. Does that mean I'll be in 10th grade in Tokyo, or is the school system completely different?
Does every high school have a uniform, or just the private ones?
What are the chances that a teacher or student will be able to speak or understand English? I'm determined to learn Japanese, but having another English speaker around besides my family would make me more comfortable. xD
Am I going to be made fun of or stared at? I already get stared at here in the US because of my super pale skin and black hair. Add bright green eyes and it looks even weirder >.>
Do they have facebook in Japan? I was wondering because i heard they don't have it in China. sorry if I sound stupid haha.
well that's all i have for now, i hope i'll be able to get at least one of these questions answered. Thanks for your help! (:

Answer:


Are you moving with your parents? If so ok. But if not , you can't just move to Japan. lol

Most high schools have uniforms that you have to wear all the time, some have uniforms you wear sometimes. It depends on where you are. but it is VERY common.

You need to learn Japanese, and I don't even think you can attend a school if you can't even speak Japanese. Classes are in Japanese except for English class. The only forign students I've seen in a class is ones who can already speak Japanese.

The chances of finding someone who speaks Japanese in america, are 10X easyer than finding someone who speaks English in Japan.

You will for sure be staired at.

Yes facebook is in Japan, its just not that common at all.



Its best to learn Japanese on a learning website because the good ones teach "casual Japanese which is used 99% of the time. The following websites are the best websites for the following reasons,

http://www.123japanese.com
★★★★★

- Teaches FULL Japanese lesson FREE
- Polite, Casual and slang Japanese (all Japanese)
- Fully explains lessons
- Teaches kanji and kana aswell
- Has video lessons
- Books
- Largest vocabulary list
- A forum
- Lots of other study materials

They also have a youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/123japanesecom



http://www.japanesepod101.com
★★★★

- Has many lessons and study aids
- polite and casual Japanese
- unfortunately not free, you only get 1 week free trial (but just keep signing up with fake email)


http://www.maggisensei.com
★★★★

- It teaches random lessons
- Detailed lessons on wide variety of topics
- Casual and polite Japanese
- You can find a lot of stuff here you wont find anywhere else


What to stay away from.

- books. : books only teach polite Japanese and usually have general translations rather than explanations. Polite Japanese isn't even used in casual speach, and books don't have a lot of information.

- Websites with not a lot of explanations: when learning a language, its easier if you get a good detailed explanation on the translation of something because a lot of times, something can't be directly translated.

No comments:

Post a Comment