Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Will people think I'm trashy if I wear a lot of makeup in Japan?

Question:


So I wear quite a bit of makeup. Actually it's not bad. I don't look like an orange raccoon but I'm worried that the amount of makeup I wear would be too much to people in Japan. I wear it to school everyday and people say that it looks fine and it looks good on me but I just really wanna avoid looking tacky.
I will be going on a foreign exchange. I just found out that they got a host family for me in Kanonji, but it is quite a smaller town so I'm scared that I'll look weird to them.
Also I'm white, so I don't wanna be the weird gaijin girl who wears a lot of makeup lol.
I know it's probably the last thing I should worry about, but it is on my mind. aha

Answer:


If you're going into high school, you may not be allowed to wear much to school. But out in the real world, women (especially women old enough to be out of high school) often absolutely CAKE the makeup on. That said, they don't look like orange racoons either, because they know the colors and shades that work best with their skin tones. In addition, not everyone wears much or any makeup. If you're worried that you're going to wear too much, why not either skip the makeup entirely or just put a very small amount on until you get used to Japan and what makeup is normal for your peers?

No comments:

Post a Comment