Thursday, March 17, 2011

What can i do to help Japan?

Question:


I'm a 17 year old living in Arizona, i love doing voleenter work and helping others and like many others i'm heartbroken for all the pain people are going through in Japan. I really want to do something to help, i feel useless. I'm a full time student and i don't have a job so i couldnt donate over a hundred dollars. Does anybody know of any volenteering opportunities here in the states to help provide relief to Japan?
Like packing and collecting supplies and what not?

Answer:


I am gonna be completely honest and straightforward with you. There's not too much you can do unless you physically went there and tried to help injured people(if you had a medical degree/training) or something like that then it would be great. But it's kinda like those ads about starving African children, sending 10 cents a day is all well and good, but who is actually receiving that and using it to accomplish the tasks the ads preach about. I was in the military for several years and I can tell you from first-hand experience going to places that are(pardon my French) "pretty shitty" is an eye opener for things most "First World Countries" take for granted. In my opinion, at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself "Can I/do I really have the means and/or motivation to help someone less fortunate?". I believe even helping one person/people who are in dire need of help or survival is admirable and right, but I'm also a realist. The world ain't a Utopia where everyone has everything they need and want, Someone always get the short end of the proverbial stick, and life is generally harsh in most of the world. Having said that, I do think helping out directly someone less fortunate or having a catastrophic event happen to them is great. People(especially in the U.S. and other first world countries) tend to feel an obligatory guilt for traumatic events to other counties or groups is great. Stepping down from a tiny soapbox, I would say you should just research what is being done to help and how you can get involved. Just make sure it's something you can actually DO, not some "send money here and everything will be gravy". Good on ya though for being interested in helping out!

No comments:

Post a Comment