Sunday, April 24, 2011

Are the Japanese nice to foreigners?

Question:


Specifically native English speakers who travel to Japan and make an honest effort to learn their language, but probably butcher it. Are they forgiving about this? I live in an area with a lot of Mexican immigrants who speak broken English. I'm patient and polite, try to understand them and help them out. Are the Japanese the same way, or will they make fun of you and such? I'm sure it depends on the person, but are the majority of Japanese friendly and helpful to foreigners, is what I'm asking.

Answer:


The Japanese hospitality is renowned all over the world. We don't expect foreigners to speak perfect Japanese. We are kind and understanding enough to correct you if you like. Many locals would even try their best to help foreigners asking for map directions even if they can't speak English properly. And that's very common to see. I've even helped foreigners a couple of times buy a train ticket from the machine. And I saw some high school students did the same way too. But you are right, it depends on the person. Some could be snobby too.

No comments:

Post a Comment